First of all, I have to ask, have you ever had radicchio? Should the first question be have you ever heard of it? It’s those little purple heads of cabbage you may see lurking in your grocery’s produce section.
Radicchio can have quite a bitter flavor to it, so it may turn people off initially. But, if you make it the right way, you’ll most likely have more luck with it.
I don’t remember where my mom got this recipe from, but it is delicious. It’s supposed to be a bean salad with radicchio. When I make it, it turns into a radicchio salad with some beans. I really enjoy the flavor of it. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea though. So just give it a try. No harm done if you don’t like it.
Radicchio and Cannellini Bean Salad
(Serves 4-6… can easily be doubled, tripled, etc.)
2 15 oz. cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 head of radicchio
4-6 springs of fresh thyme, stripped off the stems
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
1-3 tbsp. honey or granulated sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the beans into a medium to large mixing bowl.
- Peel off the outer layer of the radicchio. Slice in half lengthwise. Then slice into thin ribbons. Add to the bowl with the beans.
- Pour in the lemon juice, garlic, thyme, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. (Note: Start out with one tablespoon of sugar or honey. My radicchio was quite bitter so I ended up adding more.)
- Stir well to combine all of the ingredients.
- Let sit in the fridge, covered, for about 30 minutes to a half hour to let the flavors combine. Try it again before eating. It may need more salt, pepper or sugar. Use your taste buds! 🙂