Hands down, this is now my favorite pumpkin recipe. Ever since fall came around, I really wanted to make pumpkin ravioli with a brown butter sauce. But, I couldn’t really be bothered to make a bunch of ravioli, so I decided to try it in lasagna form.
I had made a brown butter sage sauce with mushrooms last year when I made a pumpkin gnocchi (which reminds me I should probably make that again soon…). So I decided to incorporate mushrooms into it as well. I also wanted a little protein, which is where the cannellini beans come in.
I had zero patience waiting the 10-15 minutes for it to cool. I made it about 7, and I grabbed a forkful. And…
OH. MY. GOD.
Seriously. It was amazing. So creamy. Absolutely delicious. My mouth is drooling right now. I’m itching to get my hands on the leftovers in the fridge.
I won’t make you wait any longer…. here it is.
8 sheets of Dreamfield lasagna noodles (or your favorite)
1 14 oz. can of cannellini beans
1 10 oz. pkg. of cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 ½ cans (15 oz. cans) of pumpkin puree
1 8 oz. container of part skim ricotta cheese
¼ tsp. each of dried basil, oregano, cumin and pumpkin pie spice
1/8 tsp. red pepper flake
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
10-12 springs fresh thyme, stripped from stems
½ cup of shredded Italian blend cheese
2 tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 13” baking dish.
- Cook lasagna sheets according to directions, but a couple minutes short of al dente. You still want them slightly firm cause they’re going to be cooking in the oven.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil oven medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and the garlic, cooking until just starting to brown, turn the heat to low, add the beans and all of the thyme, except 2 springs. Also add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese with ½ tsp. salt and pepper, and the basil, oregano, and red pepper flake.
- In another small bowl, combine the pumpkin with 1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper, and the cumin and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a small pan, brown some butter over medium – medium-high heat for a few minutes. Swirl the pan occasionally. It’s done when the butter is brown and smells nutty. NOT burnt! It goes from brown to burnt quickly.
- Before you layer, put aside about 1/3 of a cup of pumpkin mixture.
- Time to layer! Put down a layer of lasagna noodles, then ½ of the pumpkin, half of the mushroom mixture, half of the ricotta. Repeat. Ending with another layer of noodles.
- Top with the reserved pumpkin. Then the shredded cheese and the brown butter.
- Pop in the oven for 30 minutes. Then put under the broiler to get it even more brown if need be.
- Allow to cool 10-15 minutes before serving. Slice up and enjoy!