Nothing sets the mood for a hangout with a great friend like a yummy childhood snack – rice krispies treats! They are the ultimate childhood nostalgic food, which perhaps is why so many adults still like to snack on these sweet morsels of marshmallowy goodness.
I’m sure by now pretty much everyone knows how to make rice krispies treats, but what if I told you it could have a cake batter kick? Interested? I thought so.
I made these with yellow cake mix, though the possibilities are endless for flavor types. Like chocolate? Use some chocolate cake mix. I’m actually thinking of doing my next batch with it, plus some peanut butter. Want extra sprinkle action? Use Funfetti! I think you get the idea. Be creative!
Cake Batter Rice Krispies Treats
(Makes approximately 24 squares…depending how big you cut them!)
5 cups of crisped rice cereal
1 10-oz bag of mini-marshmallows
3 tbsp. butter
1 1.75 oz container of rainbow jimmies (sprinkles…whatever you say)
¾ cup dry cake mix of your choice (feel free to add more or less)
- Grease a 9 x 12” baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the marshmallows. Stir the butter/marshmallow mixture constantly until it becomes a deliciously gooey consistency. (If you’d like, spray your mixing spoon with cooking spray to minimize sticking!).
- Add in the DRY cake mix, ¼ cup at a time, until all of it is added.
- Pour in the rice cereal, one cup at a time, combining the mixture together before adding the next cup.
- Once all the cereal is added, pour in half of the rainbow jimmies and combine.
- Put the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Use a piece of parchment or wax paper to flatten out the cereal/marshmallow.
- Sprinkle with the rest of your rainbow jimmies.
- Let set at room temperature for about 30 minutes and enjoy!